COURSE ONE Professional Curtain Making & Soft Furnishings
Through discussion, demonstration and making samples, this course provides students with the skills to tackle window dressings with confidence. It is suitable for absolute beginners as well as those wishing to enhance their current skills (no hand sewing or sewing machine experience is required). This course also covers how to set up and run a successful curtain making business. See COURSE PROGRAMME below…
On completion of this course students will be awarded an Accedited Certificate. Victoria Hammond Academy is accredited by AIM Awards, which is an approved British Awarding Body, regulated by Ofqual.
You can either make payment in full, or deposit payment. The deposit payment is required to secure your place on the course. It is possible to decide attendance dates at a later time subject to availability – select from the option below ‘dates to be decided’. Balance payment is then due to be settled at least 2 weeks prior to the course start date; £750. On request we can email you a secure online WorldPay link.
All course fees are inclusive of specialist materials, designer fabrics, comprehensive manual and refreshments. There are villages close by that have a selection of food stores. You are also welcome to bring a packed lunch.
Courses run from 9:30am to 5pm. Tea/coffee served at 9:15am. We are on-site from 9am.
COURSE ONE – Professional Curtain Making & Soft Furnishings
Trainer: Victoria Hammond
Through discussion, demonstration and making samples, this course provides students with the skills to tackle window dressings with confidence. It is suitable for absolute beginners as well as those wishing to enhance their current skills (no hand sewing or sewing machine experience is required). This course also covers how to set up and run a successful curtain making business.
- Design presentation and discussion about curtain styles, decorative hardware, pelmets, and blinds, covering current trends in the Interior Design world.
- Students will practice how to seam lining, interlining, plain and patterned fabric.
- Students will make a lined sample curtain with pencil pleat heading, which will ensure that you will thoroughly learn and practice traditional hand stitching and curtain making methods.
- Students will learn how to plan and design a window treatment, including accurate measuring, bay windows, suitable curtain hardware, and estimation of fabric quantities for plain and patterned fabric.
- Comprehensive discussion on how to calculate accurate measurements for curtain hand headings; Triple (French), Goblet and Cartridge pleats.
- Students will participate in hands-on window measuring, reviewing various scenarios, followed by curtain calculation exercises.
- Students will make an interlined sample curtain incorprating the hand heading Triple (French) pleats.
Demonstration on how to make other hand headings; Goblet and Cartridge pleats.
- Discussion on function and design of the Roman blind, and also other blind styles available such as London, Austrian, wood venetian, roller and vertical blinds. Accurate measuring for various window shapes including bay windows.
- Fabric estimation and accurate calculations for rod pocket spacing for standard fold and waterfall/cascade folds. Demonstration on suitable hardware, fixtures and fittings.
- In our opinion Roman blinds look and function better if there is no visible machine stitching to the front. Students will make a fully operational hand-sewn Roman blind, compliant with blind regulations.
- Comprehensive session on setting up and running a successful curtain making business, including advice on suppliers, costing, client liaison and presentation skills.
- Professional fitting seminar; students will learn how to specify and fit curtain and blind hardware including awkward window shapes (poles, tracks, blinds, and pelmet shelves).
- Discussion on designing pelmets, their proportions and shaping the base line to work with the pattern repeat of the fabric. Demonstration on how to make a hardboard upholstered pelmet sample with piping detail.